Saturday, August 16, 2008

Bacon and Chocolate






While walking around the chocolate section in
Whole Foods, Union Square, New York City,
I spotted Mo's Bacon Chocolate Bar. Bacon
and chocolate ! Wowee yumm yumm ! But how ?














This is what it said on the back of the package:

" I began experimenting with bacon + chocolate at the tender age of 6,
while eating chocolate chip pancakes drenched in Aunt Jemima syrup,
as children often do. Beside my chocolate laden cake laid three strips of
sizzling bacon, just barely touching a sweet pool of maple syrup. And then,
the magic - just a bite of the bacon was too salty and I yearned for the
sweet kiss of chocolate and syrup, so I combined the two. In retrospect ,
perhaps that was the turning point; for on that plate something magical
happened, the beginnings of a combination so ethereal and delicious that
it would haunt my thoughts until I found the medium to express it - chocolate. "

Peace, love+ chocolate
Katrina



Obviuously after this I couldn't resist checking out what
seemed like a mad combination on the surface, but
somehow made tremendous sense when you really
thought about it. Or when you bit into it.
Milk chocolate ( 41% cacao) with applewood smoked bacon and alder
wood smoked salt. "The lust of sweet and salt" as the package
describes it. I brought a few bars back to Hong Kong and
enjoyed the lust for a long time.



The website http://www.vosgeschocolate.com/ also lists other fascinating combinations that I am itching to taste



Red Fire: Mexican ancho & chipotle chillies + Ceylon cinnamon + dark chocolate
Wouldn't mind a shot of Tequila with this. Or perhaps an icecold vodka. Maybe a Guinness.


Black Pearl: ginger + wasabi + black sesame seeds + dark chocolate
Not sure if I should drink a warm sake with this. Or lemongrass infused vodka.



Goji: goji berries + pink Himalayan salt + deep milk chocolate
Thinking of a dark rum or a cognac as an accompaniment.


The one that I would probably give a miss
Naga: sweet Indian curry + coconut + deep milk chocolate



And just for a full-on, no holds barred chocolate experience
Creole: New Orleans style chicory coffee + cocoa nibs + Sao Thome
bittersweet chocolate. Definitely a cognac or a peaty single malt from
Islay or a Chimay Belgian Trappiste beer to drink with this.
And an espresso.


Recent posts




No comments: